Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Grand Canyon


When I purchased my National Parks Pass last July I knew I'd be visiting Grand Canyon National Park approximately 10 months later. This weekend that 10 months later became now. The enjoyment of the trip to the Grand Canyon exceeded all other National Park visits I've made in the last year. It's difficult to put into words the awe and beauty experienced while hiking into the canyon.


I had a bit of good fortune planning my Grand Canyon visit when I lucked into a slot at Phantom Rance thanks to another persons cancellation and some persistent phone calls. Phantom Ranch is q backpackers resort at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. With my reservation in place I was able to hike 9.5 miles from the South Rim (7,000 ft.) down the Bright Angel trail to Phantom Ranch at 2,550 ft.


The hike started out relatively easy but by the half way point the temperature had reached the upper 80's and my legs were starting to get a little tired. I drank lots of water and and took a nice long break at Indian Garden, a midway oasis with lots of shade and water.


A couple more miles with more amazing views of the canyon and I reached the Colorado River. I hiked along the river for a couple of miles and then crossed a suspension bridge into the Phantom Ranch grounds. The hike down took about 6 hours and was well worth every step. I took it easy the rest of the day and got a good night sleep in one of the dorm houses. I took off back up the canyon at about 7 am. The first half of the hike up was pretty easy with cool morning temperatures and lots of shade. The 2nd half got a lot tougher as I moved into the higher elevations and the midday sun became more direct. I finally reached the top about 1 pm, making the trip up about the same as the trip down. I was tired, sore, and hungry but thankful for the work my legs did for me. I know I will sleep well tonight as I dream of my next trip to the Grand Canyon.