Saturday, August 22, 2009

Eugene, OR & Oregon Dunes


Eugene was a lot like Portland only much smaller and more emphasis on the local school, the University of Oregon. T-shirts, hats, and flags could be seen everywhere supporting the Oregon Ducks. I stayed at the Whiteaker Hostel which is located in a artsy neighborhood about 10 minutes from campus. Similar to other places I've visisted I took to my bike to explore the city and surrounding areas. Once again bike lanes and bike paths made getting around very easy especially along the scenic McKenzie River and U of O. Here's a hidden urban garden I found on the U of O campus.


Something I've wanted to do on the trip but hadn't gotten around to was to see a minor league baseball game. Eugene presented the perfect opportunity to see a game for the low price of $5.50, cheaper than a movie. I saw the hometown Emeralds take on the Vancouver Canadians and score a 4-2 victory in front of 2,900 fans. Eugene plays their home games in Civic Stadium which was built in 1938. Seeing a game in an old-time ballpark added to the experience for me.


Friday afternoon I took a trip to the Pacific Coast to check out the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. This area stretches about 40 miles along the Pacific Coast south from the town of Florence. I took a hike through Carter Dunes that took me to a path leading right to the beach along the Pacific Ocean. I got lucky and had a beautiful sunny day to walk the beach, breathe the fresh ocean air, and enjoy a bit of solitude.




The big weekly event in town is the Eugene Saturday Market. This is more than just fresh produce from local farms, it's local crafts, food & drink vendors, and live music. I met my friend Dion who I met while staying at the Port Angeles hostel at the market for lunch and travel disucssion. We enjoyed a good conversation, excellent lunch, and some live music which included several kid rock bands. These kids had gone to summer rock camp and were now performing the top songs they learned while at camp. The crowd got bigger when the kids started playing and for good reason.


On the way back from the market I passed a building wall with a good message to remember courtesy of Bob Marley and the artist who painted this.