Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Olympic National Park


Before leaving the Seattle area I visited Safeco Field for the first time. It's always a treat visiting a new ballpark and Safeco didn't dissapoint even though it was a closed roof game due to some rain. I attended the game with 3 longtime Mariner fans and one new one including my Aunt Glo, Uncle Frank, cousin Adam, and his daughter Sophie. The Mariners defeated the White Sox 6-4 in a game that featured a couple of Home Runs from the home team.


The next day I left Seattle and headed for Port Angeles, WA which put me in close proximity to some of the prime areas of Olympic National Park. I stayed in the Thor Town International Hostel, a work in progress hostel with a lot of friendly travelers, several of which were from Europe. I was able to check out a few sections on the north side of the park including Hurricane Ridge, Elwha, and Storm King. Hurricane Ride was a bit foggy but that just added to the mysteriousness of the mountains.


A short hike through a rain forest brought me to Marymere Falls.


A longer 2.5 mile hike through more rain forests and I found the natural hot springs pools. There were 7 different pools all with warm water approximately 100 degrees. Laying in the pool was pretty similar to a regular hot tub temperature wise but the thick forest and surrounding scenery really made it a unique experience.