Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Boise, ID


On sunday I drove from Hailey to Boise. I made one interesting stop along the way in the Twin Falls area. I stopped to look at and admire Shoshone Falls. I arrived in Boise late sunday afternoon and it was about 96 degrees. The plan was to camp for 3 nights but with the 10 pm temperatures expected to be in the low 80's I searched for an alternative. I found Hostel Boise. The hostel provided a/c, reliable wifi, and a comfortable bed.


I explored Boise by foot and by bicycle. The Boise Greenbelt provided 30 miles of paved trails winding through city parks, Boise State University, and along the Boise River. I watched people "float" down the river in rafts, intertubes, kayaks, and other interesting floatation devices.


I saw Honest Abe and the state capitol building.


I visted the Idaho Anne Frank Human Rights Memorial. The Memorial is an impressive display of statues, benches, engraved quotes, flowers, grass, and waterfalls.


I discovered the Boise Co-Op Grocery store in the charming Hyde Park neighborhood.


I give two thumbs up for Boise. It's a very relaxed and easy going city with great natural scenery, distinct neighborhoods, lots of trees, and green parks. The name Boise is derived from Les Bois, the french term used for trees or woods. Boise also had a spectacular Rose Garden in Julia Davis Park. It's always good to stop and smell the roses once in a while.