Saturday, July 18, 2009

Grand Teton National Park/Jackson


On wednesday night I drove into Teton County. I had hoped to arrive by sundown but the trip required me to pull over for several scenic lookouts. At one such stop a couple of buffalo slowed things down even more by crossing the road.


I was able to find a campsite about 10 minutes outside of Jackson. The site has hot showers, friendly people, it's across the street from a bike trail, and it's close to town. I'll wind up staying at this site for 4 or 5 nights. On thursday afternoon I met up with Jack Delay from Teton Village for a hike. Jack is another couchsurfing contact who is an avid skier, hiker, and biker.


The first portion of the hike seen above was a pretty steep climb. We hiked up to the tram above Teton Village. All told this was a 5-mile hike with about 4,200 feet of elevation gain. We took several rests to catch our breath and drink water. Going back down was much easier. We took the tram and returned to Teton Village in 5 minutes




Late friday afternoon I packed a sandwich and headed into Great Teton National Park. I rode about 20 miles through forests and meadows to reach Jenny Lake. Along the way I spotted a moose drinking water.


I found a nice quite spot overlooking Jenny Lake with the mountains in the background when I looked over my shoulder and saw a bear about 50 feet away. Fortunately the bear didn't seem interested in me or my sandwich. I slowly moved in the oppostite direction of the bear and it kept moving on its own path barely noticing me. I decided to move to the other side of the parking lot near the Snake River to eat my dinner. Sorry, didn't have time to whip out the camera and take pictures of the bear.