Friday, July 24, 2009

Yellowstone National Park


I spent about 2 days in Yellowstone National Park and West Yellowstone, MT. When you think of Yellowstone National Park you think of Old Faithful. This park is huge and has so much more to offer than the Old Faithful. I probably took about 50 pictures of various geysers and then headed to the Canyon area to check out what's know as the Upper and Lower Falls. I've selected some of the best pictures as a sample of what I saw. Visitors realy need a full week or more to explore the park fully. There were a couple of downsides to the park. Camping was a little crowded and the temperature got down to about 38 degrees in the early morning hours. The crowds as well as wildlife blocking traffic at times caused some lenghtly delays getting into and out of the park.






After driving 14 miles in 2 hours to get out of the park it was 10 pm and I didn't have a campsite lined up for the night. I planned on taking Highway 20 into Idaho to Henry's State Park Campground when I stumbled on the Old Madison Hotel. After seven straight nights of camping I was ready for a bed and a hot shower. This hostel appeared at just the right time. I'm now in Hailey, ID which is near Ketchum and Sun Valley. I'll report again in a few days.