Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wyoming Part I


On tuesday I drove from Laramie to the Wind River campground about 20 miles south of Thermopolis. I got an unexpected surprise on the portion of the drive from Rawlins to Shoshoni. The surprise was some of the most beautiful uninhabited land I've ever seen. Along this stetch which took about 3 hours to cover I probably saw about 25 cars or trucks and even fewer homes.


On this route I passed several towns including Lamont, Muddy Gap, Jeffrey City, and Sand Draw. These towns were so small they didn't have houses, gas stations, post offices, or for that matter any people. Nevertheless, Wyoming has some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen and I haven't even been to Jackson yet.


All of this driving was done so I could visit the thriving metropolis of Thermopolis. What's in Thermopolis you ask? The World's Largest Mineral Hot Springs which can be seen at Hot Springs State Park.


At 8:15 this morning I entered the building shown below. I was able to relax in 104 degree natural mineral water for 20 minutes. The bath house was free due to an agreement with the Shoshone and Arapaho Indians that has been in place since 1896.