Friday, July 31, 2009

Mt. Rainer National Park


On wednesday I drove 7 hours from Boise to Mt. Rainer National Park. The picture above is my first glimpse of the 14,441 ft. mountain. I found a great spot to camp in the Ohanapecosh section of the park. The site had a fresh smell of pine in the air and rushing river just below my tent site.


The beauty of this national park is almost indescribable. It's so much more than just a mountain with snow on the top of it. The park is filled with forests, glaciers, rivers, lakes, waterfalls, wildflowers, and much more. First stop was Grove of the Patriarchs which features 1000-year old Douglas fir and western red cedar trees.



I hiked to Silver Falls and then later stopped at Hidden Lake.


From the Sunrise area of the park I hiked to Frozen Lake and then up to Fremont Lookout. The roundtrip was a little over 5 miles with the Lookout providing a beautiful view of Mt. Rainer.